This will be one of my contributions to the latest kindy recipe book – my own invention! They are incredibly delicious but also ridiculously healthy. A great little treat to pop in the lunch box with all that homemade bread and chopped up fruit! The only problem in they don’t last long enough!
I tend to not use measurements, so bear with me.
- Put 2-3 cups of raw cashews into your food processor, and also a cup or so of almonds or walnuts if you like.
- Whizz til totally powdered.
- Meanwhile, soak half a cup of chopped dates in some boiling water. Squeeze out excess water and add them to the food processor, with zest and juice of one orange.
- Whizz again til combined. Should be kinda sticky.
- Add LOTS of good quality cocoa, a good 1/3 cup even – Seriously. Plus dried fruit like raisins, chopped up apricots, whatever.
- You can also add good quality dark choc chips if you have some.
- Mix it all up: you might need to squidge it all up with your hands.
- Roll into balls and get the helpful toddler to coat them in coconut.
- Keep in the fridge.
The Beekeeper’s Wife